[JN] Rupert Neve RIP

Philip Yates toobman57 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 14:16:09 CST 2021

Germanium and silicon bipolar transistors have similar operating
mechanisms, and therefore characteristics. In Art of Electronics, I THINK
they said that while they are officially exponential devices, they are
actually square-law below a certain current. If they sound different -- and
since we're talking audio, they probably do -- there's a good chance that
it's due to the intrinsic capacitances, more than the official operating
curves. IIRC, the GaAs solid-state capacitances are much smaller, 10 times
smaller, than Si capacitances, for a given power capability.

Phil