[JN] Chick Corea returns to forever

mglseddon at bigpond.com mglseddon at bigpond.com
Sat Feb 27 00:14:32 CST 2021

Thanks Ian, playing now, very nice.
martin

------ Original Message ------
From: "Ian McPhail via Sound" <sound at soundlist.org>
To: sound at soundlist.org
Sent: Saturday, 27 Feb, 2021 At 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: [JN] Chick Corea returns to forever
Excellent picture and sound quality!
Chick Corea Akoustic Band San Javier 2018
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-XZu8DBLSs
<https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-XZu8DBLSs>
Regards Ian
Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Feb 2021, at 1:39 am, Hans Hedal via Sound <sound at soundlist.org
<mailto:sound at soundlist.org> > wrote:

 Grego Sanguinetti wrote:
Oh man, I didn't know Chick had died as well. How sad that so many of
the people that shaped my music have died.
The first time I saw him play was with Miles. That was an amazing band.
The second time was when I was at Berklee, in Boston. He played around
the corner at the Jazz Workshop.
The last recordings I had heard, before the Workshop gig, was the ARC
recording with Holland, Braxton, and Altchtul.
I was expecting to hear something on that line.
There was no stage there, just a spot where the tables end and the
musicians start.
I got there early so I had a table right in front. Joe Ferrel came in
and asked me if he could use my table for his horn stands.
Then Stanley comes in and sets up right in front of me. The last time I
had heard him was with Joe Henderson's group.
Then Chick, Flora, and Airto set up. I had seen Airto with the same
Miles band with Chick and Holland.
They start up playing 500miles High. Oh my, this music was not what I
expected.
But wow! I came back and saw them all 4 nights.
What an amazing band with an amazing sound.
Very different from the later fusion band, although I liked that a lot
as well, but the first band moved me more. I think mainly because I was
already a Brazilian music fan. I grew up listening to Gilberto and
Jobin.
I saw Chick Corea three times in the 70's.
The two first was with the very impressively vital and equilibristic
Return To Forever fusion band.
The third was a (boring) duo piano concert with Herbie Hancock.
The first (acoustic) RTF band moved me more as well.
I think mainly because it experimented artistically with a continuation
of Latin American music and wasn't in any hurry .
The second (electric) RTF progrock-funk-fusion band soon developed into
commercial series production of records.
And the musicians turned out to be a kind pop stars with a restless
tendency to technical show off.
Then I lost interest.
Hans