[JN] Rupert Neve RIP

Cool Hand coolhandluc at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 18 05:17:10 CST 2021

Rubbish, of course you’re waffling… everybody waffles, it passes the time when there’s no music playing ;-P

I have the utmost appreciation of Ruperts historical contributions and likewise was his most pleasant demeanor, which in this industry is a rare trait indeed !
Many wax lyrical as to the tone of the his 8068 console but as much as an antediluvian dilettante as I may be, I actually preferred the 5088, likewise the API 3288.

One of my earliest Neve acquisitions was a pair of 32254e’s, some time later Focusrite ISA110’s.. they were and remain sublime sounding preamp/eq's, so too a pair of his RNR1’s are especially favourite microphones of mine, and whilst I do have a soft spot for ribbon transducers, the RNR’s freq. response exceeds that of most others of the ilk, whilst still retaining that uniquely pleasing ribbon mic. character, their smoothly extended range makes them pieces which I can always find an application for.