[JN] Rupert Neve RIP

Cool Hand coolhandluc at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 18 02:20:57 CST 2021

One more thing regarding the perspective of nostalgic ’sound’…

Imho a significant contribution were the herbal & pharmaceutical influences, that and mostly the tape machines, the tape formulations AND biaising, biasing was key and you could really put tangible phatness into anything you printed with the right combos… very often times we used or were sent ‘safeties’ of the 2” 24trk reels, so already we’d be starting with a 2nd generation copy, and thus the juicy tape induced non-linearities would be two-fold right there !!

But this side of getting the ’sound’ isn't half as glamorous as waffling on about the secretive saturation curves of ‘magical' transformers and tantalum capacitors ;-)