[JN] Rupert Neve RIP

Thorsten Loesch thorsten.loesch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 03:26:38 CST 2021

Hi,

Those were the good old days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHKhbB58vGk

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/legendary-consoles-impact-music-history/

Absolute sonic transparency was not a major design goal of the old Desks,
good sound was. You can hear that "good sound" on most 60's and 70's
records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwTPvcPYaOo

Then came SSL and made a stab at a console that was sonically transparent.
It became the sound of the 80's, squeaky clean, "open window", but no soul.
Plastic Pop Phantastique!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s__rX_WL100

Then came AVID Pro Tools and finally tore the roof of da muthafuckah.

Recorded music was never the same again. Any soul, any humanity, anything
"good" about "the sound of music" was eliminated.

https://www.englishpatient.org/e-patient-videos-converted/5e314cd7-d132-4ba8-b684-05d65f93a29f/5e314cd7-d132-4ba8-b684-05d65f93a29f_480p.mp4

The end.

Thor