[JN] 5534 who designed it?

bear bear at bearlabsusa.com
Tue Feb 16 14:56:08 CST 2021

Found this on the R/E/P site:

"

          Re: Crossover distortion in audio IC's / Rupert Neve Interview
          <https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,34274.msg505479.html?PHPSESSID=a2s8li7b09qhaldam75b3mcof4#msg505479>

« *Reply #8 on:* August 30, 2010, 01:45:45 pm »
*John Roberts  {JR} wrote*

*ssltech wrote*

I doubt that Rupert would appreciate it.

After all, he FATHERED the TDA1034/NE5534.

If he was the father, Phillips was the mother. Very Happy

Rupert Neve had -by that time- lost control of the  company he founded,
and it had come under the control of Mullard, which was -at that time- a
division of Philips, I think.

ARN was then charged with leading a team within the company to develop a
building-block op-amp specifically for audio purposes; something based
on a 741 type pinout, but with vast improvements.

He didn't design the IC himself; he formed and led the team, I
understand. Noteworthy is that he was against the project at its
inception; seeing it as investing lots of money on a technology which
would level the playing field for competitors.

*John Roberts  {JR} wrote*

If he possessed the skill set to design ICs he was wasting his talents
on mere audio circuitry. The 5534 used some clever internal compensation
schemes to deliver the good gain bandwidth/slew rate that it did for
it's time, using bipolar IC processes.The 553x was the go to bipolar
part for years.

I don't doubt he was consulted with by Phillips as a potential large
volume customer for the part. If they listened to him, all the better.
In my experience involving IC makers they mostly asked questions about
your needs/desires to get their foot in the door  then try to sell you
other finished designs (arghh). Depending where they were in the design
cycle he could have influenced the final result, or not.

Rather more than merely being consulted, he was essentially the person
who steered its development.

I'm not entirely certain that he was still at the company by the time it
finally emerged, but I'm sure I could find out more.

As ever, corporate politics and power-struggles influence the tale, but
it certainly remains true that Rupert played more than a 'consulting'
role in the IC's development.

I wasn't around when all this happened, but it was vouchsafed to me by
Graham Langley. -I asked Rupert about it a few years later (around 2000,
I think) and he fleshed out the tale, adding his thoughts.

he still considers the 553x to be a very capable IC, though nowadays he
places biasing and load to pull the crossover point away from low-level
signals.

Whatever it is, I have to marvel at the results. His new 'Portico II'
channel strips seem to be populated with plenty of 5534's, yet they
sound impressively good.

Keith "

--
-- bearlabs.com --