[JN] Off Topic: Treat Your Own COVID (Bear liked this)

John Day daysabroad at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 20:17:56 CST 2021

Blog link to share:
 https://www.theautomaticearth.com/2021/02/treat-your-own-covid/

Treat Your Own COVID

 Concerned Parties,

  The question that I, as a COVID-19 Early Treating Physician, blogger, and
human being with friends and family, get asked about COVID is "What can I
do myself, because my doctor says there's no treatment outside the
hospital".

  There are multiple effective supplements and repurposed medicines to
treat COVID outside the hospital, which people should take to avoid having
to go inside the hospital and get IVs and breathing machines.

  As a Public Health Physician (MD), acting in the interest of the good of
other human beings, with no anticipation of reward, I would like to give
advice to all readers, to reduce their risk of mortality and morbidity
during this pandemic.
This is the advice I give my patients.
I won't accept any payment for this advice.
Give your neighbor a bottle of vitamin-D. Don't try to give me anything of
value.

*An Ounce of Prevention*:
  Vitamin D deficiency is a major risk factor for catching COVID-19, being
sick enough to need hospitalization, and dying from it.
Don't take that risk, please. Vitamin-D comes from sunshine entering
superficially into the skin, and causing a photochemical reaction that
creates vitamin-D. The great majority of people who do not work outdoors
are deficient in vitamin-D, mildly, moderately or severely. Black people in
New York and in Northern Europe, rich and poor alike, were some of the most
deficient in vitamin-D last spring. Do you recall how that went?
Above and below the sub-tropics, the winter sun is too weak to produce
vitamin-D, even if you can bare your skin at midday.
  Vitamin-D supplementation is cheap, safe and effective. Somebody may have
already screamed, "Don't take too much" at you. I agree.
What's a good dose and what's "too much". The dose I have taken for over a
decade is 1/8 of 1 milligram per day. That is 125 micrograms, or 5000
units.
 1 mg of vitamin-D3 is 40,000 units. Weird, right? 1 mg sounds like
nothing, and 40,000units sounds like WAY TOO MUCH.
I have been checking pre-treatment and treatment vitamin-D levels on people
since 2006 and I'll say that if you weigh 100# or more, you can safely take
5000 units per day of vitamin-D for as long as you may live. I have seen a
couple of people get slightly high levels after years of 10,000 units per
day, not any sign of toxicity, and they backed off to 5000 units after a
month off. Levels normalized.
  You can take 10.000 units (1/4 mg) per day for the first 2 months, to get
your level up into the normal range.
I recommend it, especially if you have extra fat. Vitamin-D distributes
into fat, slowing the rise in blood level.
Upper mid normal blood level appears to be ideal.

  Zinc has been known since the 1990s to shorten the severity and duration
of  "some common colds", namely those caused by coronaviruses.
The studies used ttreatment dosages of roughly 150 to 250 mg per day of
zinc, usually as lozenges, spread out through the day in divided doses.
What zinc does inside a cell, infected by a coronavirus, is to reduce its
ability to make more coronaviruses. That is ideal in the period of exposure
and early infection, to reduce viral replication enough to let the innate
immune system keep the virus from getting the better of you.

  Take 50 mg per day of oral zinc, as a tablet or lozenge, together with
250 mg of Quercetin, also readily available, a natural product of onions
and other vegetables. Quercetin helps zinc get into cells, which is where
zinc is effective. (It's really hard to eat enough onions to get that much.)

  Prescription antiviral prophylaxis may also be appropriate for some
people with weaker immune systems and higher risk of severe COVID-19, such
as those with diabetes, obesity, sleep apnea, heart disease, kidney disease
and cancer. Almost no western doctors will prescribe hydroxychloroquine or
ivermectin for this purpose, after the politicization of hydroxychloroquine
last spring when then President Trump advocated for it.
The science of its efficacy in prophylaxis has been born out.
In medical workers, both hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin weekly
prophylaxis are about 75% effective, reducing infections by 75% in the
group taking either, compared to the similar groups not taking weekly
prophylaxis.
  You likely just heard the unfair bad press, not things like The Lancet
admitting later that its anti-HCQ data from "Surgisphere", compiled from
all of those hospitals, was actually not compiled from hospitals, but
fabricated. Big headline; small retraction much later.
  Hydroxychloroquine prophylaxis would need to be prescribed, and is
dangerous enough in overdose to have killed the poor guy who took the fish
tank product last year. I'm not advising you to try to get any, nor to take
it. (It is preferable as prophylaxis in pregnancy, an uncommon need.)

  Ivermectin has a remarkably broad safety profile, and has been served up
about as many times as McDonald's hamburgers, to man and beast alike, for
various forms of worms and parasites. It does cause birth defects in rats,
when given at high doses, so don't use it in pregnancy, please.
Like most medicines to treat coronavirus illness, ivermectin does different
things against the virus, than it does on regular days. Ivermectin inhibits
the transport of the viral RNA into the cell nucleus, where it would be
transcribed, manufacturing new viruses. It does other things, like reduce
inflammation during cytokine-storm, in the second and third weeks of
illness, helping the people who get really badly sick. Ivermectin is
effective in prophylaxis, in early illness and also in later, severe
illness, and through multiple mechanisms. Ivermectin is what I prescribe
since last August.

  Ivermectin is now available mail-order from India, and from a reliable
source.
https://www.medicinesdropshipper.com/antiparasitic-drugs.html#iverlast-12mg-tablet
The preventive, "prophylactic" dose of ivermectin is based upon body
weight, and it can be taken weekly, once an initial level inside of the
cells is established. Ivermectin leaves the cells very slowly, so it can
just be topped-off once per week. There are some slight variations on this,
but I'll describe the one I prescribe. It uses the same body-weight dosing
that you will find wherever you look up ivermectin dosing for humans or
animals. For every 5 kg, or 11 pounds of body weight, a person takes 1 mg
of ivermectin at that dose.
For most people I treat, that is 12 to 18 mg of ivermectin per dose.
For COVID-19 prophylaxis, this dose is taken Day #1, Day #2 and then every
seventh day after that.
If you forget, take it when you remember, and get back to the original
schedule after that.

*The Pound of Cure*:
  I'm sorry if you have to do this, but it is mostly the same, with higher
doses, and some more additions, to help avoid systemic damage.

  If you have not been taking vitamin-D3 for long, increase your dose to
5000 units 3 times per day for 10 days.
The best thing is if you can get calcifediol, an immediately bioavailable
form of vitamin-D, which does not need slow activation in the liver, and
which saved lives and reduced ICU admissions in a Spanish hospital study.
We can't get it in the US.

  Increase your dosing of 50 mg zinc and 250 mg quercetin to 3 times per
day, also.

  Add 1000 mg of vitamin-C 3 times per day to the vitamin-D, zinc and
quercetin.

  Aspirin is sometimes added in treatment of active disease, because
SARS-CoV-2 inflames the lining of arteries and arterioles, causing clotting
in small and large blood vessels. Aspirin is used as an anti-clotting
agent. If you have mild illness, related to nasal symptoms, some fatigue,
headaches and body aches, but no fever, no diarrhea, and no breathing
problems, you probably don't need aspirin.
  However, if you have systemic illness, including fever, breathing
problems and/or gut problems like diarrhea and vomiting, you stand to
benefit from 1 to 2 tablets of 325 mg aspirin per day. The sicker you are
the more likely that 325 mg twice per day is for you.
Clotting issues persist, so this should continue 30 days. If you have been
taking 2 per day, and feel pretty well after 10 days, then it is good to
back down to 1 per day. A lot of lung problems come from the blood-vessel
side, not the air side. This is a weird infection.

  Ivermectin dose for treatment is the same for the first 2 days, the
cellular loading dose of 1 mg per 5 kg or 11# on days #1 and 2 of treatment.
This is followed with that same dose on days #4 and 6 of treatment, and
that is the full course.
Many physicians dose for fewer than 4 days, and so have I, but this seems
to reduce the number of days of feeling bad in my experience.

  I typically also treat with 10 days of 100 mg doxycycline twice per day,
which is Dr Borody's protocol, as widely used in India, to very good
effect. Doxycycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic, which will treat any
secondary bacterial infection on top of COVID Pneumonia, and which also has
some antiviral benefits. It is also anti-inflammatory, which is of benefit.

  You would be well served to have an accurate thermometer and pulse
oximetry devices at home. You need to know if you have a fever. You can
presume that you have systemic illness at that point. You need a decision
point and a fever over 100.5 degrees F is a good one. Temps between 99.5
and 100.5 might mean early/mild illness. Early experience in China was that
people fared worse with things like ibuprofen and naproxen. I have not seen
good follow up on that in the west. Still, I'd choose acetaminophen for
symptoms.

  The pulse oximeter shows pulse and calculates blood oxygenation. It's
good for measuring heart rate.
Sicker people's hearts beat faster. I see it all the time. A heart rate
over 110 means you are getting much sicker.
Don't ignore it!
It is good to buy an inexpensive pulse oximeter and get to know what your
usual baseline is. For most people it is 97% to 99% saturation. It will be
lower if you live at high altitude. Dropping 2 points from normal means
your lungs are not working right. It likely means COVID Pneumonia, if you
have a positive test, already. Some people will read a little higher than
they really are, so if you read a little low (95%), and feel short of
breath, you may actually need oxygen. You may need to go to a hospital.
If your pulse oximeter reads 93% or below, you really should be promptly
evaluated at a hospital.
You might need to check in.

  One dramatically important feature of COVID-19 is just how fast people
can go from not-too-bad to choosing between ICU and the morgue.
Really fast. An hour or two.
Rising heart rate and falling oxygen mean that it is time to go to the
nearest real hospital ER.
Don't drive yourself, please. You may become confused or pass out at the
wheel.

*Resources*:

Swiss Policy Research has a very good list of medical articles about all
the treatments I have listed, except doxycycline here. (Thanks Bill)
https://swprs.org/on-the-treatment-of-covid-19/

Swiss Policy Research has information about how ivermectin works here, and
it is also the group who arranged for the delivery of ivermectin from India
to those abroad who place orders. Jeremy in Devon informed me of this link,
and he also informed me that his shipment came in, "enough to treat his
whole village". I think that was a little under 2 weeks for him, but it
might have been a little over that. (Brexit notwithstanding...)
https://swprs.org/why-ivermectin-works-and-where-to-buy-it/

Yours In Service,

John Day MD