[JN] Tiny Torrid Whindage!

Christian Rintelen christian at rintelen.ch
Thu Feb 4 16:58:01 CST 2021

hey, that is a very nice explanation for the etymology of «the whole nine yards».

and you’re not the only one who thinks so, as this nice discussion <https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-16675,00.html> in the guardian proves.

however, according to wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards>,  the earliest published non-idiomatic use of the phrase dates back to a 1855 indiana newspaper article. the earliest idiomatic use is documented in a 1907, again in indiana. these indiana instances are the ugly flies in the ointment as there were no fighters or bombers equipped with 50 caliber machine guns neither in 1907 nor in 1855…

to quote wikipedia again:  Yale University librarian Fred R. Shapiro calls the whole nine yards "the most prominent etymological riddle of our time". at least that!

sorry to rain on your parade  🤓

©
_ _ _
aka christian rintelen