[JN] magik ???

Christian Rintelen christian at rintelen.ch
Mon Feb 1 09:00:02 CST 2021

heaps of marketing BS … and comparing apples with oranges. designing and winding a 1:37 SUT for microvolt signals is something else than a 1:1, 1:2 or 2:1 transformer for line level.

the BS claims about harshness etc often come from using transformers (input or interstage) with undamped secondaries. depending on the transformer design, the amplitude and frequency range of the inherent ringing can be high enough to overdrive the next stage and cause clipping. this IS audible…

as for the use of super exotic materials … i’ve built amps using nothing but amorphous and nanocrystalline transformers from input to output and LCLCL supply filtering (only the mains transformer was conventional steel). the result was unlistenable. just incoherent details. exotic materials are fine for one core, but not for all. i have at least 20 different SUT of all kinds. of my two favorites, one uses a normal nickel core, the other an amorphous.

oh, and for 6 dB gain with MM: sowter’s 1990 <http://www.sowter.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=moving&PN=E_A_Sowter_Ltd_PHONO_CARTRIDGE_TRANSFORMERS_30.html#a292> does exactely that. i use it with an ortofon SPU mono (HO MC), and i like it.

fwiw

©
_ _ _
aka christian rintelen