[JN] damping

Hans Hedal hans.hedal at post.cybercity.dk
Mon Jun 17 10:50:28 CDT 2019

Hans wrote:

> Steven S. wrote:
>> this guy ... talks about contrained layer damping later in the video.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=EEh01PX-q9I
>
> Sony originally had a (now expired) patent on "Constrained layer
> damped loudspeaker enclosure".
>
> Quote:
>
> "The front baffle board comprises an interior substrate, an exterior
> substrate, and a constrained layer damping material sandwiched between
> and bonded to the two substrates. The constrained layer damping
> material comprises an energy absorbing thermoplastic alloy having a
> very high material loss factor. The other walls of the enclosure also
> comprise an interior substrate and an exterior substrate with a
> constrained layer damping material sandwiched therebetween."
>
> [I believe "TECH INGREDIENTS" have read this patent (or similar)
> before making the video.]
>
> The patent text (which could supplement the video) gives a description
> of the problems, and how they were solved practically:
>
> https://patents.google.com/patent/US5949033

SONY and TECH INGREDIENTS both suggest making a constrained layer
damping sandwich yourself.
But if it's possible to get soundproofing plywood with a built in sound
absorption layer:

http://www.winwood-products.com/eng/timber-products/plywood/sound-reduction-plywood.htm

https://www.sklejkaeko.pl/en/plywood-with-rubber-insert/

Couldn't something like this be used as a quick prefab solution instead?

Hans