[JN] CLC Filter Choke Choice

bleeding gums bleeding.gums at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 07:28:44 CDT 2019

years ago, i read from audio asylum, one guy mentioned using low dcr chokes
and keeping capacitance small (thus LC-LC-LC) gave the best sound.
particularly piano sounded really realistic.

i have no idea about that. it so happened the amp i built was anything but
low dcr/cap (100uf - 10 - 100uf), so i figured lets try this approach.

can't exactly remember what i built but it was like <5h per choke and <20uf
per cap, LCLCLC.

whether it's the absence of electrolytic here or usage of oil caps, i
remembered the sound was really natural and "light".

it must have left an impression on me as all subsequent amps i built do not
use electrolytic in the main supply.

bg