[JN] haters gotta hate

Hans Hedal hans.hedal at post.cybercity.dk
Tue Apr 30 16:37:32 CDT 2019

> I see a lot of hate on the forums for Bob Carver's equipment. I
> recently purchased a PSC-60 preamp because I wanted to audition his
> sonic holography circuit--I tend to like that sort of thing. I took
> out the mixer I had been using in my living room, installed the Carver
> preamp, dropped Miles Davis's 'Round Midnight album in the CD player
> and went into the kitchen to get a beer and start cooking dinner. Hold
> the phone! Is that Miles playing live in my living room? Wow! Even my
> wife was excited by what she was hearing. I still haven't listened to
> the sonic holography circuit, but I am blown away by the preamp, even
> the phono circuit sound good. I know that the haters gotta hate, but
> maybe they should take a break and listen a bit too.
>
> Best,
>
>      John

Picked from Wikipedia:
"Sonic holography", as described in U.S. Patent 4,218,585 was first
incorporated in the Carver C4000 preamplifier. It enhances stereo
imaging by introducing a delayed and equalized signal from the right
channel at the left loudspeaker to cancel the signal from the right
loudspeaker at the listener's left ear (and vice versa).

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4218585

You must tell us your impression of how "sonic holography" sounds.
For me it looks like a receipt for making stereo sound like dual mono.
So the "sonic holography" circuit is simply a retro gadget.
I.e. all your records will start sounding like the old Beatles records,
when played through it.

Hans