[JN] WE bi-flex article

Hans Hedal hans.hedal at post.cybercity.dk
Mon Apr 22 07:58:49 CDT 2019

Hans Hedal wrote:
> Den 11-04-2019 kl. 13:54 John Day wrote:
>>
>>>     On 4/10/19 6:30 AM, peter sikking wrote:
>>>     >hey Joes,
>>>     >
>>>     >the retro vintage modern hi-fi blog has a WE publication
>>>     >article up today that is right up our alley:
>>>     >
>>>     ><http://www.itishifi.com/2019/04/western-electric-oscillator-1947-what.html>
>>>     >
>>>     >enjoy,
>>>     >
>>>     >
>>>     >     --ps
>>

>> I wonder what modern speakers were influenced by that article, and to
>> what degree, with what trade-offs.
>> I think this one was influenced, and Joe immediately spotted the
>> similarity when I used it in a 2-way back-loaded horn, but the
>> trade-off is that big peak at 1500 Hz. You really can't use it.
>> Without that it has a good gutsy sound.
>> https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/290-404--eminence-beta-8a-spec-sheet.pdf
>>
>> https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-8a-8-midrange-pa-driver--290-404?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwy7vlBRACEiwAZvdx9tHiT9xFN6r_sFJ7lwHK9NhyBDEFYOKeAF0YhdQjbQy5HQVRkszi-BoCIK4QAvD_BwE
>> image.png
>
> For those who forgot the WE bi-flex thread some days ago. Ian just
> gave an additional example to John's question, about which modern
> speakers were influenced by this series of WE loudspeakers:
>
> "On list is a pair of L Cao full range speaker. The motor is composed
> of expensive and good sounding alnico magnets. The paper cone is
> hand-made.
> The paper cone profile is designed with reference to the legendary
> Diatone PM610. This cone profile was designed under an extensive
> research by NHK of Japan way back in 1950's as an effort to make a
>  single cone full range speaker without the normal cone breakup
> problem of conventional wide range drivers. The result is a no-whizzer
> design with exceptional frequency response, wide dispersion and
> low-distortion performance, in par with the cone profile of Western
> Electric's WE755a."
>
> I have no ready-made answers to what degree, and what compromises were
> made.
>
> Hans

If you consider all loudspeakers later than the development of the "WE
bi-flex" series as "modern speakers", I would say, this also was heavily
influenced by the "WE bi-flex" series:

"Goodmans Axiette speaker was one of the first of the single-cone truly
full-range drivers with smooth and extended response of 40 Hz to 15 kHz.
Goodmans Axiette was Ted Jordan's first project for Goodmans after
joining them in 1952."
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Goodmans_Axiette_101_a.png

See also the appended gif-file
and:https://www.google.com/search?q=Goodmans+Axiette&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8ruGj1-PhAhURLlAKHfXdDmsQsAR6BAgIEAE#imgrc=_