[JN] WE bi-flex article

Hans Hedal hans.hedal at post.cybercity.dk
Sun Apr 21 07:37:59 CDT 2019

Den 11-04-2019 kl. 13:54 skrev John Day via Sound:

>>     On 4/10/19 6:30 AM, peter sikking via Sound wrote:
>>     >hey Joes,
>>     >
>>     >the retro vintage modern hi-fi blog has a WE publication
>>     >article up today that is right up our alley:
>>     >
>>     ><http://www.itishifi.com/2019/04/western-electric-oscillator-1947-what.html>
>>     >
>>     >enjoy,
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >     --ps
>

> I wonder what modern speakers were influenced by that article, and to
> what degree, with what trade-offs.
> I think this one was influenced, and Joe immediately spotted the
> similarity when I used it in a 2-way back-loaded horn, but the
> trade-off is that big peak at 1500 Hz. You really can't use it.
> Without that it has a good gutsy sound.
> https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/290-404--eminence-beta-8a-spec-sheet.pdf
>
> https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-8a-8-midrange-pa-driver--290-404?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwy7vlBRACEiwAZvdx9tHiT9xFN6r_sFJ7lwHK9NhyBDEFYOKeAF0YhdQjbQy5HQVRkszi-BoCIK4QAvD_BwE
> image.png

For those who forgot the WE bi-flex thread some days ago. Ian just gave
an additional example to John's question, about which modern speakers
were influenced by this series of WE loudspeakers:

"On list is a pair of L Cao full range speaker. The motor is composed of
expensive and good sounding alnico magnets. The paper cone is hand-made.
The paper cone profile is designed with reference to the legendary
Diatone PM610. This cone profile was designed under an extensive
research by NHK of Japan way back in 1950's as an effort to make a
  single cone full range speaker without the normal cone breakup problem
of conventional wide range drivers. The result is a no-whizzer design
with exceptional frequency response, wide dispersion and low-distortion
performance, in par with the cone profile of Western Electric's WE755a."

I have no ready-made answers to what degree, and what compromises were
made.

Hans