[JN] EXTERNAL: Darling Speakers

Larry Moore larrymooreattorney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 14:26:31 CDT 2019

I’ve built my fair share of Darlings, and when this thread was developing, I had a notion of responding.  I'll do that now.  But, to the point.

Having built both cap and direct coupled Darlings, I’ll say this.  I think the direct coupled version is cleaner and clearer sonically; but only, when used within its means.  Meaning, if you push a Darling, perhaps using a less efficient speaker or one with a less than a benign impedance curve, then I think the cap coupled version fairs a little better when pushed.  So, it depends.

A modded Dayton Audio B652 works ok - but, won’t peal paint, naturally.  Plenty good for an office setup though.

Alright, a secret.  One of the good things about the Darling is that it isn’t really part sensitive.  Yea, good coupling caps matter - I’d spend money there.  Hint:  these are my go to cheap ones:  http://shop.diyhifisupply.com/product-category/electronic-parts/capacitors/obbligato-film-copper-caps/ <http://shop.diyhifisupply.com/product-category/electronic-parts/capacitors/obbligato-film-copper-caps/>. But, at least use these, though I’d spend as much as $25 per cap.

And, the output transformers, well you can buy Hammond, or better - but, the Darling works really well with these:  https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/transformer-output-8-w-single-ended <https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/transformer-output-8-w-single-ended>. They’re dirt cheap.

Here’s the last one I built, a bit of a ship in a bottle, but it fits on a Hammond chassis, model number 1455T2201, which comes in clear, black, blue and red - I don’t care, that’s sexy no matter where ya come from, anodized: