[JN] raspberry pi + mo0de/volumio + foobar2000

Larry Moore larrymooreattorney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 09:42:24 CDT 2019

Yea, I think Tim Curtis and team did a pretty nice job with moving forward with 5.0, in particular with the responsiveness of the UI, and navigation.

I hear ya, on the config settings, but once you’re doing an in-place update - that is moot or taken care of.  You only have to do it with the big jumps in software revision and, frankly, what you’re suggesting would take more resources that what is at hand from my understanding.  Better to put the effort elsewhere…

Yea, I know for a fact that Tim worked on maintaining/refreshing the web interface.  To a person whom I know uses MoOde, it is much better.

As to mods for the Katana, there are a couple things all say in summary, then you can tell where you might want to go and I’ll provide the details.  Generally, the Katana responds well to:

1.) different and select power supplies, and
2.) where those power supplies feed in.

I have disabled the on-board SMPS for the output stage (Sparko Labs portion) and currently use 4 separate power supplies, in somewhat order of magnitude of improvement:

A Twisted Pear Placid Bipolar supply (current sourced/shunt rugged) for the Sparko Labs board,
A LT3042 based supply for the ESS DAC chip,
A K&K linear supply based on the LT1083 for the Pi and dirty side of the isolator, and
A second LT3042 based supply for the ESS DAC chip for the micro controller and clean side of the isolator.

As stated, the feed in points are critical to improvement, but many of them require some “advanced” soldering or surface mount soldering techniques.

So, with that, I’ll leave you to ask further, based on what you might be interested in and what you believe your capabilities are.  There’s also cost I suppose.  I probably have $300 or so in supplies, give or take.

LDM