[JN] Really Small Horn

Gary Bronner gbronn at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 13:02:59 CST 2009

As long as we're being academic, just because a device is passive doesn't
mean it can't have gain.  The perfect case of this is an antenna which is a
purely passive device but still has gain.  Referring to our favorite on line
reference, one can find the following quote:
". . . antenna gain is a measure that takes into account the efficiency of
the antenna as well as its directional capabilities."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_gain

By analogy, a horn is improving the efficiency of the acoustic radiation
from the speaker by providing better coupling to the air and it is also
directional, thus it has gain compared to a non-horn loaded speaker.

---Gary